Prepare for Wind
- Secure items outside, such as lawn furniture and trash cans, that could be picked up by high winds and hurt someone.
- Anchor objects that would be unsafe to bring inside, such as gas grills and propane tanks.
- Trim or remove trees close enough to fall on your home. Review insurance policies.
- Protect windows with permanent storm shutters or pre-cut plywood.
Prepare for Flooding
- Clean out drains, gutters and downspouts.
- Stockpile protective materials such as plastic sheeting and sandbags if you’re in an area prone to flooding.
- Consider installing a sump pump with battery backup.
- Consider elevating the heating system, water heater, and electric panel.
Hurricane Preparedness Checklist
Check out this handy PDF from the Red Cross with tips on how to prepare before a storm, what to do during, and what to do after the storm has passed.